Seattle, Oakland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York... And the airports of those cities are just some of the places I've worked from in the last two weeks. I get through security and my eyes shoot furtive glances at the bottom 2 feet of walls searching (sometimes in vain) for a power outlet, preferably one that is next to a seat. Recently I have started seeing Samsung "charging stations" in some airports. A brilliant idea who's time is long over due: multiple outlets on a bistro hight mini table. After dealing with spotty free, and sometimes pay wifi services while traveling, I broke down and signed up for Sprint's mobile broadband and us ea Sierra Wireless card from Sprint. So far, I've gotten connected everywhere I have tried and the speed is pretty good. The other required hardware for airport working are my Bose Noise Canceling Headphones. In the past I've posted videos showing me working from improbable places: a tree, the side of the railroad tracks, and island in Canada, My tag line: If you work for CivicActions, you can work from literally anywhere. The truth is that most of my time I work from Seattle. And when I'm not in Seattle, I am sometimes in NY.
Hardware and FurnitureAs you can see, my desk setups are relatively similar:
- Mac Book pro on a laptop stand (I switched from an IBM ThinkPad to the MacBook about 18 months ago)
- External Monitor to the right
- MS Explorer Optical Mouse
- Mac Slim Keyboard
- Legare FSC Certified Wood Desk
- Ergonomic Desk Chairs (an Aeron in NYC and a Chadwick in Seattle, let's just say it is good to have friends in the furniture industry)
What software do I rely on?
- FireFox with a number of extensions (web developer tool bar, firebug and Dummy Lipsum get the most use)
- Thunderbird: I use it to pop my gmail accounts (which are filtering my spam and keeping a backup of my good mail) and I sort most incoming mail into folders by list.
- iTunes and MusicIP Mixer for tunes
- Aidium for chat
- X-Lite for SIP
- ImageWell for screen shots
- Neo Office / Open Office for all office stuff